LENGTH: 24 Hours (3 days)
To learn the DS8000 storage subsystem and its hardware components and logical structure. You configure the DS8000 storage subsystem using a DS8000 Storage Manager GUI and review the DS CLI interface for scripting configuration functions. You will also perform dynamic data relocation using Easy Tier function. In addition we have a unit on the recently announced product called the DS8900F.
• Using the history, hardware & software features, functions, and components of the DS8000 family determine the architecture of the DS8880
• Distinguish those elements that contribute to virtualization and the DS8880
• Carry out those steps needed to configure the DS8880, using the Data Storage Command Line Interface (DS CLI)
• Carry out those steps needed to configure the DS8880, using the data storage Graphical User Interface (GUI)
• Outline those benefits of host attachments that will enable higher throughput and lower response times when connecting a DS8880 to your z System
• Clarify the features of cache, performance identification, and TPC and their contributions to the physical and logical setup of the DS8880
• Relate those functions of copy services, flash copy, and global mirroring to business continuity
• Summarize the features and functions of the DS8900F
• Distinguish the benefits of the three DS8900F models
This course is for system administrators, architects, and storage specialists. Anyone who needs to learn about DS8000 implementation and experiment with them on a real test configuration.
You should have completed:
• Introduction to Storage (SS01G)
• An understanding of DASD and data sets and how clients hosts access directly or through FICON channels.
• Unit 1: Concepts and architecture
• Unit 2: Concepts of virtualization
• Unit 3: DS Command Line Interface
• Exercise 0: Lab setup and preliminary instructions
• Exercise 1: DS8000 DS CLI: Installation and configuration
• Exercise 2: DS8000 DS CLI: DDMs, array sites, arrays, ranks, and extent pools
• Exercise 3: DS8000 DS CLI: LCU, CKD volumes, and PAVs
• Unit 4: DS8000 Storage Manager GUI
• Exercise 4: DS8000 Storage Manager: Arrays, ranks, and extent pools
• Exercise 5: DS8000 Storage Manager: LCU, CKD volumes, and PAVs
• Exercise 6: DS8000 Storage Manager: I/O ports configuration
• Exercise 7: DS8000 Storage Manager: Other functions
• Exercise 8: DS8000 Easy Tier: Dynamic volume relocation
• Exercise 9: DS8000 Easy Tier: Dynamic pool merge
• Unit 5: Host attachment
• Unit 6: Performance, tuning, and monitoring
• Unit 7: Business continuity
• Unit 8: DS8900F Introduction
Prior to enrolling, IBM Employees must follow their Division/Department processes to obtain approval to attend this public training class. Failure to follow Division/Department approval processes may result in the IBM Employee being personally responsible for the class charges.
GBS practitioners that use the EViTA system for requesting external training should use that same process for this course. Go to the EViTA site to start this process: http://w3.ibm.com/services/gbs/evita/BCSVTEnrl.nsf
Once you enroll in a GTP class, you will receive a confirmation letter that should show:
The current GTP list price
The 20% discounted price available to IBMers. This is the price you will be invoiced for the class.
30 Aug 2023
Virtual Classroom (GMT / UTC)
Instructor Led Online