The Veritas Backup Exec 20.1: Administration course is designed for the data protection professional tasked with architecting, implementing, backing up, and restoring critical data. This class covers how to back up and restore data, configure storage devices, manage media, manage and maintain the Backup Exec environment.
Students also learn how to configure and work with various Backup Exec Agents, which protect applications like Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft SQL, Active Directory, and virtual environments.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
• Describe the functionality and architecture of Backup Exec.
• Install and upgrade to Backup Exec 20.1.
• Configure storage devices.
• Manage devices and media used by Backup Exec.
• Run backup and restore jobs.
• Set backup and recovery settings and methods.
• Perform Online Disaster Recovery.
• Work with the Database Encryption Key.
• Install the SDR disk creation wizard, create an SDR disk imagen and recover a server with SDR.
• Backup a physical machine and convert to a virtual machine either simultaneously or on a schedule.
• Install, configure, and manage the Backup Exec Central Admin Server feature.
• Protect remote servers using the appropriate Remote Agents.
• Use Backup Exec to protect databases and applications, including;
• VMware vSphere
• Microsoft Hyper-V
• Microsoft SQL Server
• Microsoft Exchange
• Microsoft SharePoint
• Agent for Active Directory
• List the supported virtual conversion configurations.
• Configure Backup Exec Deduplication Storage.
• Backup and restore deduplicated data.
This course is designed for system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, systems professionals, consultants, backup administrators, backup
operators, and others who are responsible for installing, configuring, managing and monitoring Backup Exec 20.1.
You must have basic working knowledge of administrating and configuring Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012 and later platforms. You must also have experience configuring server software. Basic working knowledge of the following applications is beneficial, but not required:
• Microsoft SQL Server
• Microsoft Exchange Server
• Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server
• Microsoft Hyper-V
• VMware virtual infrastructure.
Lesson 00: Course Introduction
• About this course
• Veritas education and support resources
Lesson 01: Backup Exec Fundamentals
• Data backup basics
• Backup Exec solution offerings
• Backup Exec architecture
Backup Exec: EOL Items
Lesson 02: Licensing Backup Exec
• Subscription, Perpetual and À la carte Licensing
• Trialware and upgrades
• Capacity and subscription license enforcement
• Updated licensing information
• Capacity widget and capacity metering
Maintenance and Extended Support Licensing
Lesson 03: Installing Backup Exec
Backup Exec: New installation
• Typical installation of Backup Exec
• Custom installation of Backup Exec
• Applying Backup Exec updates
• Exercise A: Performing pre-installation tasks
Exercise B: Installing Veritas Backup Exec and verifying the installation footprint
• Exercise C: Configuring and running Veritas Update
• Exercise D: Viewing the Backup Exec license
Lesson 04: Working with the Administration Console
• Launching Backup Exec
• Introduction to Backup and Restore
• Exercise A: Launching the Backup Exec Administration Console
• Exercise B: Exploring the Backup Exec Administration Console
• Exercise C: Creating a configured view
• Exercise D: Working with the Configuration Task Widget
• Exercise E: Creating disk storage
• Exercise F: Creating a basic backup job
• Exercise G: Creating a basic restore job
Lesson 05: Disk Storage Devices
• Backup Exec storage devices
• Configuring disk storage devices
• Configuring disk cartridge devices
• Configuring deduplication storage
• Configuring Backup Exec storage pools
• Managing disk storage devices
• Exercise A: Creating a disk storage device using the Configuration Wizard
• Exercise B: Viewing disk storage device properties
• Exercise C: Creating a Storage Pool
Lesson 06: Cloud-based Storage Devices
• Cloud storage
• Amazon S3 cloud-based storage
• Google cloud-based storage
• Microsoft Azure cloud-based storage
• Backup Exec requirements for creating cloud storage devices
• Configuring a cloud-storage device in Backup Exec