Course OutlineModule 1: Creating Robust and Efficient Apps for SharePointIn this module, you will review key aspects of the apps for SharePoint development platform, including capabilities, packaging and infrastructure, client-side programming for SharePoint, and app security. You will also learn about how to optimize the performance of your apps.Lessons
- Apps for SharePoint
- Communicating with SharePoint from an App
- Authenticating and Authorizing Apps for SharePoint
- Designing Apps for Performance
Lab : Monitoring SharePoint Health ScoresAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the apps for SharePoint development platform.
- Use the client-side object models and the REST API to communicate with SharePoint.
- Configure security for apps for SharePoint.
- Optimize the performance of apps for SharePoint.
Module 2: Developing Managed Metadata SolutionsIn this module you will see metadata objects and how they are used to categorize items so that you can learn how to work with them in code. You will also see how to use the advanced features of terms and manage permissions and roles. In this way you can provide a full set of terms that users can tag content with.Lessons
- Managed Metadata
- Configuring Managed Metadata Term Sets
- Working with Managed Metadata Fields
Lab : Developing Managed Metadata Solutions (Part 1)Lab : Developing Managed Metadata Solutions (Part 2)After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Explain the capabilities and applications of managed metadata in SharePoint 2013.
- Automate the creation and configuration of managed metadata term sets.
- Interact with managed metadata term sets and fields from client-side and server-side code.
Module 3: Interacting with the Search ServiceThe module provides an overview of the search service architecture in SharePoint 2013 as it relates to developers, before describing how to construct queries using Keyword Query Language (KQL) and FAST Query Language (FQL) and submit these queries to the search service.Lessons
- SharePoint 2013 Search Service
- Building Search Queries with KQL and FQL
- Executing Search Queries from Code
Lab : Executing Search Queries from SharePoint AppsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the SharePoint Search Architecture
- Describe the structure of the search index
- Describe what a crawled property is and how they are created
- Describe what a managed property is and how they are created
- Describe the various settings of a managed property
- Modify the search schema at various levels
Module 4: Customizing the Search ExperienceIn this module you will create and modify queries as well as manage search results.Lessons
- Customizing Query Processing
- Customizing Search Results
- Configuring Result Types and Display Templates
- Customizing Content Processing
Lab : Configuring Entity ExtractionAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Create various types of result sources
- Create basic and complex query transforms
- Configure query rule conditions and actions to target query intent
- Create and modify result types
- Create and modify display templates
- Utilize display templates with various search web parts
- Add managed properties as refiners with counts
- Utilize entity extraction in your crawls
- Extend content processing with Content Enrichment
Module 5: Implementing Enterprise Content ManagementIn this module, you will work with SharePoint document management features in code.Lessons
- Working with eDiscovery
- Working with Content Management
- Automating Records Management
Lab : Implementing Content Management FunctionalityAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Use SharePoint eDiscovery functionality in custom applications.
- Create and manage information management policies and document sets programmatically.
- Manage and customize SharePoint records management functionality.
Module 6: Developing a Publishing Site for Web ContentIn this module, you will learn how to utilize develop web content solutions for publishing sites.Lessons
- Programming with the Web Content Publishing API
- Developing Page Components for Web Content Publishing
Lab : Customizing a SharePoint Publishing SiteAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the capabilities of the Publishing API.
- Describe how to access the Publishing API utilizing the server-side object model.
Module 7: Structuring and Publishing Websites for All UsersThis module will focus on providing you with the knowledge to build web sites that are mobile device friendly, support multiple language and with proper navigation. This will be accomplished by introducing you to SharePoint features including device channels, managed navigation and variations.Lessons
- Website Structure and Navigation
- Publishing Content
- Publishing to Mobile Devices
- Multi-language sites using Variations
Lab : Structuring a SharePoint Publishing SiteLab : Publishing for Multiple Devices and LanguagesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configure website structure and navigation
- Describe the difference between structured and metadata navigation
- Programmatically configure site navigation
- Utilize basic publishing features of SharePoint
- Use the new cross-site publishing features of SharePoint 2013
- Work with mobile devices using Device Channels
- Configure and implement variations for multilingual sites
- Work with human and machine translation tasks in variation sites
Module 8: Developing Optimized Internet SitesIn this module, you will learn how to optimize your site for Internet search engines, and maximize the performance of rendering your site content.Lessons
- Optimizing a SharePoint Site for Search Engines
- Optimizing Performance and Scalability
Lab : Optimizing SharePoint Publishing SitesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configure search engine optimization settings
- Add SEO Properties to publishing pages and Managed Navigation terms
- Configure caching to improve site rendering performance
- Optimize site assets and resources to maximize performance
Module 9: Working with Business Connectivity ServicesIn this module, you will learn how to develop Business Connectivity Services (BCS) solutions.Lessons
- Business Connectivity Services in SharePoint 2013
- Creating BDC Models in SharePoint Designer
- Creating BDC Models in Visual Studio 2012
Lab : Working with Business Connectivity ServicesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the key components of Business Connectivity Services in SharePoint Server 2013.
- Create and configure BDC models by using SharePoint Designer.
- Create and configure BDC models by using Visual Studio 2012.
Module 10: Creating Advanced Business Data Connectivity ModelsThis module will explore how to create custom search connectors using several different methodologies and lastly, you will learn the advanced topic of the new SharePoint 2013 external event notification feature to support SharePoint list features such as alerts and event receivers when external data changes.Lessons
- Configuring BDC Models for Search
- Developing Custom Connectivity Components
- Working with External Events and Notifications
Lab : Creating and Deploying a .NET Connectivity AssemblyAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Decide when to use BDC models to extend search
- Describe the BCS Connector Framework
- Describe and implement BDC search stereotyped operations
- Configure BDC model properties for search
- Configure custom item level security
- Utilize techniques to optimize search indexing
Module 11: Working with Business Data In Client ApplicationsBCS provides a framework to access via a wide array of protocols such as WCF and OData services to a myriad of external data sources, ranging from data stored in databases to custom proprietary data stores. In this module you will work with Business Data in both custom and composite solutions.Lessons
- Working with Business Data in Composite Solutions
- Working with Business Data in Custom Solutions
- Working with Business Data in Client Applications
Lab : Working with Business Data in Apps for SharePointAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Access business data by using composite solutions.
- Utilize the Business Data Web Parts on your Team and Publishing pages
- Work with external data columns in lists
- Work with Business Data in SharePoint workflows
- Access business data by using custom solutions.
- Utilize the various APIs available such as CSOM, JSOM, and REST
- Access business data by using client applications.
- Configure external content types for use with Office clients
Module 12: Managing and Accessing User Profile DataIn this module, you will review key aspects of the user profile service, and see how you can write client-side and server-side code to access, update and manage user profile properties.Lessons
- User Profile Data in SharePoint 2013
- Options for Accessing User Profile Data
- Managing User Profile Data
- Managing User Profile Properties
Lab : Accessing User Profile DataLab : Managing User Profile PropertiesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Explain how user profile data is used in SharePoint.
- Describe the options and restrictions for accessing user profile data.
- Use client-side code to access and server-side code to access and update user profile data.
- Configure and manage user profile properties.
Module 13: Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Advanced SolutionsIn this module, you will see some of the social features in SharePoint 2013, and you will see how you can develop apps which extend and customize the social workload; tailoring the experience for your business needs.Lessons
- Overview of the Social Workload
- Developing Social Solutions
- Working with Feeds
Lab : Creating a Social App PartAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the main components of the social workload.
- Develop solutions to extend the social workload.
- Create solutions which make use of the newsfeed functionality in SharePoint Server 2013.
Module 14: Monitoring and Troubleshooting Custom SharePoint SolutionsThis module will introduce methods that you can use to improve the performance and scalability of solutions and apps.Lessons
- Debugging SharePoint Apps in Visual Studio
- Diagnosing Faults in Deployed Apps
- Testing Performance and Scalability
Lab : Enabling ASP.NET TracingAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe how to identify, diagnose, and remove bugs in SharePoint apps during development.
- Describe how to record information about issues that arise in deployed SharePoint apps.
- Describe how developers optimize the performance of SharePoint apps by implementing best practices, measuring performance, and load testing.