Course OutlineModule 1: Fundamental Storage Technologies and ComponentsThis module introduces various storage hardware and communications technologies. It discusses changes in storage options and new technologies, including virtualization. Also covered in this module are enterprise storage hardware solutions such as storage area network (SAN) and network-attached storage (NAS), direct-attached storage (DAS), redundant array of independent disks (RAID), bus technologies, storage controllers, communications protocols, and data security.Lessons
- Disk and File Systems Changes in Windows Server 2012
- Server Storage Topology
- Bus Technologies and Protocols
- Configuring Sharing in Windows Server
- Securing Volumes and Drives
Lab : Planning and Configuring Storage Technologies and Components
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe changes in storage technologies.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of using direct-attached storage (DAS), network-attached storage (NAS), storage area networks (SANs), and redundant array of independent disks (RAID).
- Understand and configure bus technologies and protocols.
- Describe Server Message Block (SMB) and network file system (NFS) storage protocols.
- Explain how to implement data security by using Encrypting File System (EFS), a Trusted Platform Module (TPM), and BitLocker Drive Encryption.
Module 2: Implementing Storage Spaces and Data DeduplicationThis module discusses how to manage, maintain, and recover Storage Spaces, how to configure storage pools and virtual hard disks, and how to implement Data Deduplication, a feature used to find and remove duplicate data while maintaining the integrity of the data.Lessons
- Implementing Storage Spaces
- Maintaining Storage Spaces
- Implementing Data Deduplication
Lab : Implementing Storage SpacesLab : Implementing Data DeduplicationAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe and implement the Storage Spaces feature in the context of enterprise storage needs.
- Manage and maintain Storage Spaces.
- Describe and implement Data Deduplication.
Module 3: High Availability in Windows ServerIn this module, students will learn about high availability and disaster recovery with Hyper‑V virtual machines, and how to implement high availability in virtual environments by using failover clustering in Windows Server 2012. Lessons
- Understanding High Availability
- High Availability and Disaster Recovery Solutions with Hyper-V Virtual Machines
- High Availability with Clustering in Windows Server 2012
Lab : Planning and Configuring High Availability and Disaster Recovery SolutionsAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Understand and describe high availability.
- Describe high availability and disaster recovery solutions with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012.
- Describe high availability with clustering in Windows Server 2012.
Module 4: Implementing Failover ClusteringIn this module, students will learn how to plan failover clustering implementation and how to create and configure new failover clusters.Lessons
- Planning a Failover Cluster
- Creating a New Failover Cluster
Lab : Creating and Administering a ClusterAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Plan a failover cluster.
- Create, configure, and manage a failover cluster.
Module 5: Managing Server Roles and Clustering ResourcesThis module describes how to configure roles and services for high availability on a failover cluster. Students will learn about configuring, managing, maintaining, and troubleshooting failover clusters, in addition to implementing site high availability with multisite failover clustering. Lessons
- Configuring Highly Available Applications and Services on a Failover Cluster
- Managing and Maintaining a Failover Cluster
- Troubleshooting a Failover Cluster
- Implementing Site High Availability with Multisite Failover Clusters
Lab : Implementing Server Roles and Clustering ResourcesLab : Managing Server Roles and Clustering ResourcesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configure high availability applications and services on failover clusters.
- Manage and maintain failover clusters.
- Troubleshoot failover clusters.
- Implement multisite failover clusters.
Module 6: Implementing Failover Clustering with Hyper-VIn this module, students will learn how to implement failover clustering in a Hyper-V scenario to achieve high availability for a virtual environment. Lessons
- Overview of Integrating Hyper-V with Failover Clustering
- Implementing Hyper-V with Failover Clustering
- Virtual Machine Storage Options
- Managing and Maintaining Hyper-V Virtual Machines on Failover Clusters
Lab : Implementing Failover Clustering by Using Hyper-VAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe how the Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V role integrates with the Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering feature.
- Implement Hyper-V virtual machines on failover clusters.
- Describe various virtual machine storage options.
- Manage and maintain Hyper-V virtual machines on failover clusters.
Module 7: Storage Infrastructure Management with Virtual Machine ManagerThis module provides an overview of System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager, which is one of the Microsoft virtualization technologies, and explains how students can use it to manage both virtualization and traditional storage infrastructures.Lessons
- Overview of Virtual Machine Manager
- Managing Storage Infrastructure with Virtual Machine Manager
- Provisioning Failover Clustering in Virtual Machine Manager
Lab : Managing Storage InfrastructureAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Navigate within Virtual Machine Manager.
- Manage storage infrastructure with Virtual Machine Manager.
- Provision a Scale-Out File Server cluster by using Virtual Machine Manager.
Module 8: Cloud-Based Storage and High AvailabilityThis module discusses cloud-based storage and high availability solutions including Azure, StorSimple, and disaster recovery with Azure Site Recovery.Lessons
- Azure Storage Solutions and Infrastructure
- Cloud Integrated Storage with StorSimple
- Disaster Recovery with Azure Site Recovery
Lab : Managing Cloud-Based Storage and High AvailabilityAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe Microsoft Azure Storage solutions and infrastructure.
- Describe cloud-integrated storage with Azure StorSimple.
- Describe disaster recovery with Azure Site Recovery.
Module 9: Implementing Network Load Balancing ClustersThis module introduces students to Network Load Balancing (NLB) and how this technology works. This module also covers the situations for which NLB is appropriate, how to configure and manage NLB clusters, how to perform maintenance tasks on NLB clusters, and how load balancing works in both Virtual Machine Manager and Microsoft Azure. Lessons
- Overview of NLB
- Configuring an NLB Cluster
- Planning an NLB Implementation
Lab : Implementing Network Load Balancing ClustersAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe NLB.
- Configure an NLB cluster.
- Plan an NLB implementation.