Course OutlineModule 1: Windows 8.1 in an Enterprise Network EnvironmentThis module explains how the features and related solutions in Windows 8.1 are used to support intranet, Internet, and non-domain joined Windows 8.1 clients. It also explains the changes to the Windows 8.1 user interface and how to perform customizations of the desktop and Start screen.Lessons
- Managing Windows 8.1 in an Enterprise Environment
- Overview of Windows 8.1
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Identify the features and solutions in Windows 8.1 that you can use to support domain member and non-member devices.
- Identify the changes to the Windows 8.1 user interface and customize the desktop and Start screen.
Module 2: Installing and Upgrading to Windows 8.1This module explains how to identify hardware, software, and infrastructure readiness for installing Windows 8.1. It also describes the methods to manage volume activation in Windows 8.1 and how to migrate user state and settings when upgrading to Windows 8.1.Lessons
- Preparing to Install and Deploy Windows 8.1
- Installing Windows 8.1
- Volume Activation for Windows 8.1
- Migrating User State and Settings
Lab : Installing Windows 8.1Lab : Migrating User State by Using USMTAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Identify hardware, software, and infrastructure readiness for installing and deploying Windows 8.1.
- Install Windows 8.1.
- Describe the methods to manage volume activation in Windows 8.1.
- Migrate user state and settings when upgrading to Windows 8.1.
Module 3: Configuring and Managing Windows 8.1This module explains the tools used for local and remote management of Windows 8.1. It also explains how to configure and manage common settings in Windows 8.1 by using Windows PowerShell, Group Policy, and Windows Intune.Lessons
- Tools Used to Perform Local and Remote Management of Windows 8.1
- Using Windows PowerShell to Configure and Manage Windows 8.1
- Using Group Policy to Manage Windows 8.1
- Administering Windows 8.1 by Using Windows Intune
- Configuring User State Virtualization
Lab : Configure Windows 8.1 Settings by Using Management ToolsLab : Configuring UE-VAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the tools used to perform local and remote management of Windows 8.1.
- Administer Windows 8.1 by using Windows PowerShell.
- Implement Group Policy to manage client computers running Windows 8.1.
- Explain how to administer Windows 8.1 by using Windows Intune.
- Configure Microsoft User Experience Virtualization (UE-V).
Module 4: Implementing an Application Strategy for Windows 8.1This module explains the application deployment options for Windows 8.1. It also explains how to install and manage Windows Store apps, secure Internet Explorer, and configure application restrictions. Lessons
- Application Deployment Options in Windows 8.1
- Managing Windows Store Apps
- Configuring Internet Explorer Settings
- Configuring Application Restrictions in an Enterprise
Lab : Managing Windows Store AppsLab : Troubleshooting an Internet Explorer IssueLab : Configuring AppLockerAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the application deployment options for Windows 8.1.
- Install and manage Windows Store apps.
- Configure and secure Internet Explorer.
- Configure application restrictions.
Module 5: Managing Devices and Resource AccessThis module explains the options for managing non-domain member devices in a Windows 8.1 environment. It also explains how to configure Workplace Join and Work Folders for non-domain member devices.Lessons
- Options for Managing Non-Domain Member Devices
- Configuring Workplace Join
- Configuring Work Folders and Remote Business Data Removal
Lab : Configuring Resource Access for Non-Domain Member DevicesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe the options in Windows 8.1 for managing devices that are not domain members.
- Configure Workplace Join.
- Configure Work Folders and remote business data removal.
Module 6: Securing Windows 8.1 DevicesThis module explains the methods used for authentication and authorization in Windows 8.1. It also explains how to secure data by using BitLocker and configure User Account Control (UAC) settings. It then explains how to configure Windows SmartScreen and Windows Defender to protect against malware. It also describes how to configure and implement Windows Firewall.Lessons
- Authentication and Authorization in Windows 8.1
- Securing Data by Using BitLocker
- Configuring UAC
- Guarding Against Malware
- Configuring Windows Firewall
Lab : Securing Data by Using BitLockerLab : Configuring Inbound and Outbound Firewall RulesAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe authentication and authorization in Windows 8.1.
- Select a suitable file encryption method to help secure Windows 8.1 files.
- Configure User Account Control (UAC).
- Configure malware protection.
- Configure Windows Firewall.
Module 7: Configuring Remote AccessThis module explains how to implement a simple DirectAccess deployment. It explains the process for implementing an advanced DirectAccess infrastructure. It also explains how to enable and configure virtual private network (VPN) access.Lessons
- Overview of DirectAccess
- Advanced DirectAccess Infrastructure
- Configuring VPN Access
Lab : Implementing DirectAccess by Using the Getting Started WizardAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Implement DirectAccess by using the Getting Started Wizard.
- Identify the components that are used in advanced DirectAccess infrastructure.
- Explain how to configure VPN access.
Module 8: Monitoring and Recovering Windows 8.1This module explains how to monitor and troubleshoot performance in Windows 8.1. It describes the Windows 8.1 startup process and how to troubleshoot Windows 8.1 startup. It then explains the recovery options in Windows 8.1 and how to recover Windows 8.1.Lessons
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Performance in Windows 8.1
- Troubleshooting Windows 8.1 Startup
- Recovery Options in Windows 8.1
Lab : Identifying Performance ProblemsLab : Recovering Windows 8.1After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Monitor and troubleshoot performance in Windows 8.1.
- Troubleshoot Windows 8.1 startup.
- Use the recovery options in Windows 8.1.
Module 9: Implementing Client Hyper-V in Windows 8.1This module explains Client Hyper-V for Windows 8.1. It also explains how to manage virtual hard disks and checkpoints.Lessons
- Overview of Client Hyper-V
- Creating Virtual Machines
- Managing Virtual Hard Disks
- Managing Checkpoints
Lab : Configuring Client Hyper-VAfter completing this module, students will be able to:
- Describe Client Hyper‑V in Windows 8.1.
- Create and work with virtual machines.
- Manage virtual hard disks.
- Manage checkpoints in Client Hyper‑V.