LENGTH: 32 Hours (4 days)
The NetBackup Maintenance and Troubleshooting course provides the IT professional with instruction on troubleshooting NetBackup 7.7 software. This course covers general error detection tools and troubleshooting methodologies. Students practice solving problems related to the NetBackup database, devices, media, disk, deduplication, networking, backups, and restores. In addition, students study the functions of key NetBackup processes and how to enable, view, and manage the associated logs.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Detect problems using tools such as the NetBackup reports, NBSU, and administrative commands.
- Correct problems and verify these corrections.- Understand the functions of services, daemons, and processes that drive NetBackup operations.
- Rapidly and accurately isolate the root cause of a backup failure.
- Troubleshoot a wide variety of tape device, media, disk, deduplication, and communication-related problems.
- Run backups and restores with a higher rate of success and efficiency.
- Troubleshoot Storage Lifecycle policies (SLP) and Auto Image Replication.
- Enable and use legacy, unified, and robust logging to troubleshoot problems.
- Back up, recover, and troubleshoot the NetBackup catalog, including the NBDB database.
This course is intended for technical professionals responsible for the design, configuration, operation, monitoring, or support of NetBackup.
Students should be familiar with general network and storage concepts, and the administration and configuration of Windows or Linux operating systems. Students must also have one to three years experience with basic NetBackup administration, configuration, and operation. These prerequisites can be met by attending any version of the NetBackup Administration course plus additional on-the-job experience
Troubleshooting Methods and Tools
- Troubleshooting situations and methodology
- Gathering symptoms and information
- Additional troubleshooting resources
NetBackup Process Flow
- Core process functions
- Backup process flow
- Tape restore process flow
- Disk restore process flow
- Viewing process flow information
Troubleshooting Communication Issues
- Understanding NetBackup communication
- Configuring NetBackup and network communication Troubleshooting network and NetBackup communication problems
- Common NetBackup communication issues
Troubleshooting Tape Devices and Media
- NetBackup device troubleshooting
- Common NetBackup device issues
- Media and device selection
- Media-related status codes
- Troubleshooting frozen and suspended media
Troubleshooting Disk Backups Resources
- Overview of disk-based backups
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Basic Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Advanced Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting OpenStorage
Troubleshooting NetBackup Deduplication
- Understanding NetBackup deduplication and deduplication process flow
- Maintaining and troubleshooting NetBackup deduplication
- Protecting the MSDP catalog
Additional Backup and Restore Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting file system backups
- Troubleshooting snapshot-based backups
- Troubleshooting VMware backups
- Troubleshooting Hyper-V backups
- Troubleshooting restores
Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies process flow
- Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Troubleshooting data classification
- Understanding Auto Image Replication process flow
- Troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
- Introduction to Logging Assistant
- Enabling debug logs
- Viewing debug logs
- Log management
- Capturing debug logs
Understanding the NetBackup Databases
- The NetBackup catalog
- The NetBackup relational databases (NBDB)
- Catalog backup and recovery
- Maintaining the NBDB
Special agreements and discounts do not apply to this course.