LENGTH: 16 Hours (2 days)
This 2-day course gives networking professionals a functional understanding of the BIG-IP DNS system as it is commonly used.
The course covers configuration and ongoing management of the BIG-IP DNS system, and includes a combination of lecture, discussion, and hands-on labs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
• Provision the BIG-IP system for operation
• Back up the BIG-IP system configuration for safekeeping
• Describe how the Domain Name System (DNS) resolves host names into IP addresses
• Describe how the BIG-IP DNS system can participate in the DNS resolution process
• Use DNS Express on the BIG-IP DNS system to accelerate DNS resolution
• Cache DNS query responses on BIG-IP DNS to accelerate DNS resolution
• Load balance DNS queries to a pool of DNS servers and monitor pool health
• Configure the key features of the BIG-IP DNS system to perform intelligent DNS resolution
• Describe the LDNS probes used by BIG-IP DNS to support path-based load balancing
• Configure a wide IP pool to use a path load balancing method
• View and confirm DNS resolution behavior using path load balancing methods
• Use static and dynamic load balancing methods to intelligently resolve DNS queries
• Use persistence to effectively return one or more clients to the same virtual server on each query
• Use manual resume to control certain load balancing behavior in the event of an outage
• Configure and use load balancing decision logs to fine-tune and troubleshoot DNS resolution
• Configure monitors on the BIG-IP DNS system in support of DNS resolution
• Configure BIG-IP DNS to participate in the DNSSEC chain of trust
• Configure limit settings on virtual servers, servers, and wide IP pools to temporarily direct client traffic away from resources that may not be performing at certain thresholds of efficiency
• Configure iRules on a wide IP to customize intelligent DNS resolution
• Describe the other wide IP types provided with BIG-IP DNS
• Configure a BIG-IP DNS sync group
• Apply all the principles learned throughout the course to configure a BIG-IP DNS system based on hypothetical specifications
This course is intended for system and network administrators responsible for installation, setup, configuration, and administration of BIG-IP DNS systems.
There are no F5-technology-specific prerequisites for this course: However, completing the following before attending would be helpful for students with limited BIG-IP administration and configuration experience:
The following free web-based courses, although optional, will be very helpful for any student with limited BIG-IP administration and configuration experience.
The following general network technology knowledge and experience are recommended before attending any F5 Global Training Services instructor-led course:
The following course-specific knowledge and experience is suggested before attending this course:
Chapter 1: Setting Up the BIG-IP System
Chapter 2: Introducing the Domain Name System (DNS) and BIG-IP DNS
Chapter 3: Accelerating DNS Resolution
Chapter 4: Implementing Intelligent DNS Resolutions
Chapter 5: Using LDNS Probes and Metrics
Chapter 6: Load Balancing Intelligent DNS Resolution
Chapter 7: Monitoring Intelligent DNS Resources
Chapter 8: Advanced BIG-IP DNS Topics
Exam 302 – BIG-IP DNS Specialist
Prerequisites: Valid F5-CA, BIG-IP Certification
Candidates that pass Exam 302 will receive the F5 Certified! Technology Specialist, BIG-IP DNS certification.
People with this certification have the fundamental knowledge necessary to application delivery architects and application delivery engineers working with BIG-IP DNS, including the ability to understand the basic operation of the DNS protocol, deploy and test configurations, and troubleshoot and remedy common misconfigurations.
These individuals also are able to explain the capabilities of DNS services to deploy applications globally.
Receiving the F5-CTS, BIG-IP DNS certification is a prerequisite for the Cloud Solutions Expert certification tracks.
View Exam 302 study materials on AskF5
Exam vouchers can be purchased from Arrow ECS at an additional charge. Vouchers can be used atwww.vue.com/f5 to schedule exams at a time and location convenient to the attendee.
Course Changes since v15
The Configuring DNS v16.1 course presents much of the same content as v15.1, with very minor modifications.
19 Jun 2023
Instructor Led Online
25 Sep 2023
Instructor Led Online
13 Nov 2023
Instructor Led Online