LENGTH: 24 Hours (3 days)
This three-day course is designed to provide students with MPLS-based Layer 3 virtual private network (VPN) knowledge and configuration examples.
The course includes an overview of MPLS Layer 3 VPN concepts, scaling Layer 3 VPNs, Internet access,
Interprovider Layer 3 VPNs, and Multicast for Layer 3 VPNs.
This course also covers Junos operating system-specific implementations of Layer 3 VPNs.
These concepts are put into practice with a series of in-depth hands-on labs, which will allow participants to gain experience in configuring and monitoring Layer 3 VPNs on Junos OS devices.
These hands-on labs utilize Juniper Networks vMX Series devices using the Junos OS Release 19.4R1.10, and are also applicable to other MX Series devices.
The Junos Layer 3 VPNs (JL3V) course is an advanced-level course.
Relevant Juniper Product
• M Series • T Series • MX Series • PTX Series
• Describe the purpose and functions of MPLS VPNs.
• Describe the differences between Layer 2 VPNs (L2VPNs) and Layer 3 VPNs (L3VPNs).
• Describe the roles of a customer edge (CE) device, provider edge (PE) router, and provider (P) router in a BGP Layer 3 VPN.
• Describe the format of the BGP routing information, including VPN-IPv4 addresses and route distinguishers.
• Describe the propagation of VPN routing information within an autonomous system (AS).
• List the BGP design constraints to enable L3VPNs within a provider network.
• Explain the operation of the L3VPN data plane within a provider network.
• Create a routing instance, assign interfaces to a routing instance, create routes in a routing instance, and import/export routes from a routing instance using route distinguishers/route targets.
• Describe the purpose of BGP extended communities, configure BGP extended communities, and use BGP extended communities.
• List the steps necessary for the proper operation of a PE-CE dynamic routing protocol.
• List the troubleshooting and monitoring techniques for routing instances.
• Explain the difference between the bgp.l3vpn table and the inet.0 table of a routing instance.
• Monitor the operation of a CE-PE dynamic routing protocol.
• Describe ways to support communication between sites attached to a common PE router.
• Provision and troubleshoot hub-and-spoke L3VPNs.
• Describe the flow of control traffic and data traffic in a hub-and-spoke L3VPN.
• Describe the quality of service (QoS) mechanisms available in L3VPNs.
• Describe seamless MPLS fundamentals.
• Describe the carrier-of-carriers model.
• Configure the carrier-of-carriers and "Option C" configuration.
• Describe the flow of control traffic and data traffic in BGP MVPN.
• Describe the configuration steps for establishing a BGP MVPN.
• Monitor and verify the operations of BGP MVPNs.
• Describe the flow of control traffic and data traffic when using BGP MPVNs for Internet multicast.
• Describe the configuration steps for enabling Internet multicast using BGP MVPNs.
• Monitor and verify the operation of BGP MVPN Internet multicast
Individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring devices running Junos OS
• Intermediate-level networking knowledge and an understanding of OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, and Junos policy
• Experience configuring MPLS label-switched paths using Junos
• Completion of the Introduction to the Junos Operating System, Junos Intermediate Routing, and the Junos MPLS Fundamentals courses
Refresher—VPNs and MPLS
• Contrast the differences between IPsec VPNs and MPLS VPNs
• Contrast the differences between L3VPNs and L2VPNs
Layer 3 VPNs–Overview
• Explain L3VPN terminology
• Define the VPN-IPv4 address structure
Layer 3 VPNs—Operational Characteristics
• Explain how the L3VPN control plane advertises VPN-IPv4 prefixes across a service provider network
• Explain how the L3VPN data plane transports traffic between sites, across a service provider's core
Layer 3 VPN—Configuration
• Describe the preliminary steps needed for configuring an L3VPN
• Describe the L3VPN PE configuration
Lab 1: Layer 3 VPNs with Static and BGP Routing
Layer 3 VPN—Verification
• Describe how to verify L3VPN operations
Lab 2: Route Redistribution
OSPF as the PE-to-CE Protocol
• Configure and verify a basic L3VPN deployment, with OSPF to the CE router
• Explain the purpose of the BGP route type community and the domain ID
• Explain and verify the use of the DN bit and the VPN route tag, which prevent control plane loops
• Configure and verify sham links to control routing decisions in networks with backdoor links
• Describe route leaking in an L3VPN environment
• Describe hub-and-spoke L3VPN topologies
Layer 3 VPN CoS
• Describe how to configure and use CoS with L3VPNs
Layer 3 VPN Protection Mechanisms
• Explain how BGP PIC edge works
• Define how provider edge link protection functions
Layer 3 VPN Scaling
• Describe different ways to improve L3VPN scaling
• Define L3VPN scaling guidelines
BGP Route Target Filtering
• Describe the purpose of BGP route target filtering
Lab 3: Additional L3VPN Scalability Techniques
Layer 3 VPNs and Internet Access
• Explain the differences between the methods of providing Internet access within an L3VPN environment
• Demonstrate how to configure VRF Internet access with a single connection through a use case
Inter-AS Layer 3 VPNs
• Describe the functionality of Interprovider Options A, B, and C
• Configure and verify the Interprovider Option C method
• Describe and configure carrier-of-carriers VPNs
Lab 4: Carrier-of-Carriers VPNs
Troubleshooting Layer 3 VPN—Overview
• Explain basic L3VPN troubleshooting steps
• Define PE-to-CE verification methods
Additional Layer 3 VPN Troubleshooting
• Explain how to troubleshoot MPLS-related problems in an L3VPN
• Explain how to troubleshoot BGP-related problems in an L3VPN
• Demonstrate how to troubleshoot forwarding plane related problems in an L3VPN
• Describe troubleshooting an L3VPN with a use case
Lab 5: Troubleshooting L3VPNs
• Describe IP multicast traffic flow and multicast components
• Describe multicast addressing
• Describe the need for RPF check in multicast networks
• Describe multicast routing tables
Introduction to IGMP
• Explain the role of IGMP
• Describe the different versions of IGMP
Multicast Routing Protocols
• Discuss multicast routing
• Describe the different PIM messages
BGP MVPN Overview
• Describe the overall functionality of BGP MVPNs
• Explain how BGP MVPNs operate
Configuring BGP MVPNs
• Explain the configuration steps of BGP MVPNs
• Describe how to verify that a BGP MVPN is correctly working
Lab 6: MVPNs
Recommended Next Course
Advanced Junos Service Provider Routing (AJSPR)
Junos Layer 2 VPNs (JL2V)
Junos Multicast Routing (JMR)
Exams can be purchased and scheduled at an additional cost – please ask for details.
14 Jun 2023
Virtual Training Class - TP
Instructor Led Online